Help Me Fundraise

Sponsor GeekGal's fund raising!

HELP END BLOOD CANCER

Friday 17 October 2014

It's Time.

Here we are, just a day away from the race!!!! I had hoped to post something after doing my 18k run (which went well, by the way), but I have been so busy with life and training and preparing for the event and the coming of winter, that this is the first chance I've had to sit and write.

So yes, I did my first 15k long run a few weeks ago. I was slow, but I made it through. Then I did another 10k at split pace, and that felt longer than the 15k for whatever reason. Some days are good days and others not so much. Then I did the 18k run, and apart from some butt cramping in the final kilometer, it went well. I had a good pace (~8:45min/km average) and felt good. I was in my race day apparel and gear, and did the whole nine yards for prep (taping pressure points on feet, using body glide, etc.) to make it as close to a dry run of race day as possible. My plan is to run between water stations (about every 3km) and walk for 100-200m as I pass the water stations and drink. This will break the race into smaller chunks. I have my Stinger's Chews for energy and electrolyte replacement, and will have a bag of those 45-60 minutes, again what I have been practicing during long runs. I have never gotten into the gel stuffs, and I like the chews for ease of use and that I can munch on them over a longer duration (one bag lasts me up to 10km! hehehe It's like a reward every km!)

I know I will finish. The only questions are in what shape and in what time, and those go hand in hand and can't be answered in advance. :) I have prepped the best I can. Now I rely on adrenaline, my fellow runners, those cheering us on, and luck, to determine the specifics of my finish. :) I have even provided my sponsors and friends with a way to send me remote cheers as I run. I will make good use of hubby's smart watch that he barely got to use before he passed away. Plus, its a little bit of him that will be with me while I run, as it has been since I first strapped it on my wrist in April. Folks can also follow my progress via http://www.sportstats.ca/ .  My bib number for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon is 12335.

Kerry has been on my mind frequently of late. As race day approaches, I can't help but wish he was here to see me do this, waiting for me at the finish reunification area to hug my sweaty self and congratulate me. I wish I could hug him back and tell him how he inspired me, and gave me the courage and reason to run. Yet in a weird way, I know I could never have done this if he were still here. He always used to undermine my resolve on exercising and food. Not out of any malice or intent. It's just he was not a morning person for exercise and would always ask me to stay a while longer before getting up. Or he would be out somewhere and see some treat that he knew I liked and he'd bring it home for me, and of course, he loved his chips and such so they were always in the house, tempting me.  In truth, I loved his sweetness in both of these gestures, but it did make consistent exercise and diet difficult. Still, I miss him and wish he could see what I have accomplished these past many months. I will readily admit that I have cried more again in these last few weeks, thinking about the whys and reasons, and the passage of time. While I don't have anyone going with me outside of my fellow TNTers, even if friends or family were go with me, I'd still feel alone, because Kerry is still the main person I want to be there for me.

There is a part of me that believes he still walks beside me however. A part that says he is watching over me, and will be with me during my race. I hear his voice in my head, teasing me and encouraging me in his usual sarcastic way. This part of me knows he knows I do this in his honor, and that he is proud of me. So while I miss his actual presence, I feel that he will be with me in some way. Like everything since he passed away, it's not the way I want it to be, but it's what I now have.

I have been obsessing about what to bring with me to Toronto for the race, and worrying whether I will remember to pack it all. I have had a list going for more than a week now, and have been putting things aside for the last week. I think I am more anxious about this aspect than the running itself. While VISA can get me out of trouble should I forget something, it won't be the tried and true broken in something that will ensure my success :)  I am sure I will be in full on panic before I am done the packing tonight. Hopefully I manage to get some sleep, as I am not sure how much I will get tomorrow night in the hotel.

The forecast at the moment is for a cool day in Toronto, with some sun. This sounds ideal, at least for me. I will still be racing in my vest and shorts, as I get hot when I run. However, the waiting for an hour and a half or more before I start running is yet another thing to plan for. I have a cheap jacket I will wear and toss when I get warm, but do not have the same for my legs, not having found anything suitable for that purpose. So I guess I will wear a garbage bag skirt before the race to stay warm and toss it right as I start. I have gloves to toss when I get warm too. My sleeves I will just roll down onto my wrists if I need to. I also have planned for some post-race warm clothes, since even on hot days I get the chills for half an hour to an hour shortly after I cool down from the effort. Now, the blankets they give out at the finish of a longer race make a lot of sense.
(That's 49/40°F for reference)
 
Saucony Xodus 5.0 GTX
Ronhill Womens Vizion Winter Tight
As I mentioned earlier, I have signed up for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in May. This means I have incentive to run over the winter. I think fate has been telling me this is what I am supposed to be doing, as when I was in COSTCO the other day they had some long-sleeved Adidas tops for $3.97. So I picked up several. Then, when I went into RunningRoom to get my socks for race day and the Body Glide, they happened to have some RonHill Winter Tights on sale. They just had 2 pair, and both fit me. They were on for half price, at just $45 each. So I picked those up too. Then, since obviously I am supposed to keep running based on these steals, I decided I better get some shoes too. After trying on a few waterproof ones, I settled on the Saucony Xodus 5.0 GTX. They have a good tread and should handle some snow, as well as being waterproof. The only things left to get are some gators if I plan to actually run in snow rather than on plowed/packed snow, and some sort of outer layer. I am thinking the outer layer will make a nice Christmas gift to me from someone, so will put that on my list.


Okay, moving on before my mind contemplates a Christmas without Kerry....

Stats. I have to give a final update on the stats for this endeavor. Not that my running is over, but the training for THIS event of it is, aside from one last 45min run I will be doing right after this. So you can add that time and another ~5k to these for my final stats before the race.

Count:95 Activities
Distance:515.15 km
Calories:37,064 C
Time:83:17:23 h:m:s
Avg Distance:5.42 km
Avg Speed:6.2 km/h
Max Avg Speed:7.2 km/h
Avg HR:135 bpm
Steps:592,256 s
Avg Run Cadence:62 spm
Max Run Cadence:123 spm
I have lost about 25 pounds, give or take 1-2 depending on the day, since Kerry passed away, with more than half of that since starting to run.  So I am still a heavy 167-170 pounds. I had hoped I might lose more, but what can I say? I love food. Like the Oatmeal, I think being able to eat what I like is one of the perks of running, in my opinion. :)   So maybe weight loss for me will be more gradual than others might experience. Still, I hope to cut back a bit over the winter, when I will train a bit less intensely, and hopefully I will come into the spring and the increased training for the Tinkerbell with a few more pounds shed.

To the fundraising, my total is now at over $9000. Some of that was me. I had heard from several other fundraisers that many people do not like donating when the event in question has minimums that participants have to raise, which go to covering the participant's support by the organizaton, in this case things like our coaches, race entrance fee, training/race day shirts, and support on injury prevention, nutrition, and fundraising. So I vowed that I would cover my minimum fundraising commitment myself, at the end. Its part of the reason I picked something close to home with a lower minimum. The other part was that the lower the minimum, it felt like more of what I would raise/contribute would go to the cause. I had no idea going into this what amounts I might raise, and my inital goal was just $2500.  Some people may do these sort of charity runs as opportunities to run somewhere exotic with less out of pocket to themselves, but that's not for me. Even if I were to pick a more distant race, I would still cover the minimum commitment amount needed myself.

So off I go for one last pre-race run. Tomorrow I fly to Toronto, and will pick up my race kit and bib, and see a bit of the race expo (not too much as I don't want to tire my legs!). This will be followed by a TNT pasta dinner after I check into my hotel. Then I will try and get some sleep. Sunday morning it will be up at the ass-crack of dawn to get prepped. Eat my small usual breakfast of a bagel and peanut butter (bringing it with me so I know its my usual!). Apply protection to my feet (I found some nice thin fabric bandages that cover nicely and stay put).  Glide up my body where I might get chafed. Then with my bag of post race gear in hand, I will head to the start area and check in my bag before meeting up with the ~40-50 other TNT folks that will be racing on Sunday with me. Most are from Toronto, but I am told some will be up from Texas! I will get to meet many of them Saturday night, but all of us are to meet up at 7:45am Sunday morning before we head en masse to the start corrals. At 9:05am, those of us in the purple corral, myself and the other runners who are the slowest apart from the walkers, will get to go. I hope to finish in 3 hours, but I will take a finish at any time before the 3 hour and 50 minute cutoff. And in any shape.
Like this woman, for instance.

I am excited, nervous, sad, elated, and a whole host of other emotions.

Wish me luck.




Kerry, this race, and all the effort I have given it, is for you. I love you baby, and I am getting in shape like you wanted me to. You are my inspiration. After everything you went through, and the strength and courage you demonstrated, this does not even compare. Hopefully my efforts give some meaning to everything you endured. In a weird way, its been helping me cope with the loss of you. You are the reason I run. Or rather, the lack of you.



2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Congratulations on your journey so far. Kerry would be proud.

    ReplyDelete