Help Me Fundraise

Sponsor GeekGal's fund raising!

HELP END BLOOD CANCER

Saturday 28 May 2016

Time to Sizzle!

Well here we are, on the eve of my next half marathon. We are having some mighty hot weather right now, with humidity, so they have made some changes to the run starts for a few events. They pushed the 10K today (Saturday) back till 7pm to avoid some of the heat, and they have pulled in the start for my half tomorrow morning from 9am till 8:15am. They are also adding more water stations, some misting stations, some ice stations, and even a few air-conditioned buses at the first aid locations around the course for those that need to take a short respite during the race. The organizers are very concerned about people pushing too hard in the heat. The temperature high is still sitting at 31 Celcius, but will be higher with the humidex, Nothing like what some parts of the world get and folks run in, but here we had frost and 0 degrees just two weeks ago, so not much time for runners from around here to get accustomed to running in the heat yet. Plus the marathon event is also an official Boston qualifier (if I recall correctly- I am not up to marathon levels yet), so some are sure to be pushing even with the heat and the warnings to go easier.

For myself, I have done what I can, having done some runs during the week at noon to try to experience the heat and try to handle it. I will run with a wet sponge in my hat, and my wet cooling cloth across the back of my neck and over the tops of my shoulders, inelegantly tucked under my bra straps to keep it in place. I will take 2-3 cups of water at every water station- one for my mouth, one for my head, one for my neck and back.  I will take my chews for electrolyte replacement.  I am prepared to go slower, and even walk if needed.  Yet, if  I have to abort, I will do that too. I want to finish the race, not myself. :)   I will try and enjoy the race; the scenery, the people, the cheer stations, the music, and yes, even the weather. I will smile despite now having to get up earlier in order to get in and park and get to the Team in Training meetup before heading to the start corrals.

I am once again the top individual fundraiser for Team in Training for this event. So a huge thank you to all my sponsors! I could not do it without you!

Ok. Time to finish eating, have some more water, and hit bed early. I will be up before 5am in order to do final preps, get my before race food ready, and then get into Ottawa.


2 comments: